Today, Sunday May 22nd, International Day for Biological Diversity (IDB) is celebrating its 16th anniversary. This Day was established by the United Nations in 1992 and it continues to pursue its goal of making every year the point of living species on the state of health that inhabit the Earth and to increase understanding and awareness of biodiversity issues.
Since then, every year the day comes back enriched with a different theme, but always important: forests, agriculture, food, water, marine biodiversity. Year 2016 is marked by the theme of Mainstreaming Biodiversity, Sustaining People and their Livelihoods. A moment to invoke once again the importance and the defense of ecosystems and plant and animal species on which about 600 million people depend by, one tenth of the world population.
Often, however, this seems to be only many buzz words, very vague in everyday life, although they have effects that we can clearly see on the environmental (and if you follow us for a while, you know them well, since they are at the center of numerous post). Thus, here there is a list of ten things that we can all do to save resources and to respect biodiversity.
- first, make a conscious spending preferring healthy and organic food with little packaging;
- but also reduce the consumption of meat, since it has a high impact on the environment and on family budget. It can be replaced by protein sources of plant origin such as legumes;
- do not bring in the table always the usual fish: tuna, swordfish, red snapper and sea bream. Nowadays they are species at risk of extinction given the wild fishing of which they are subjected. Better to choose mackerel, gurnard or sea bream;
- do not use antibacterial soaps: contain chemical elements such as triclosan and triclocarban that can create serious environmental problems. Better go back to an old natural soap;
- do not waste the so-called blue gold, the water;
- move in a sustainable way, leaving more often your car parked in the garage;
- use the composting, which can also lead to a discount on your taxes.
- reuse, recycle and repair are the three r of eighth rule, but they are also the three key words to become more environmentally friendly by doing daily a proper recycling.
- and finally you can also spend your holidays in an organic farming: you give your manpower and in return you receive hospitality for traveling around the world. These rules to contribute to help the environment!
- but ... in reality there is still one. Yes, I twitted you a little bit. Tenth rule is missed and for us is also the most beautiful: you can give one of our trees to yourself or to a special person. A different gift, that will do good for the environment and that will last a long time, because a tree is forever!